Happy Wednesday, everyone! We’re kicking off our August spotlights with the Hairston family, so say hello to Karen and John Michael. We’ll meet the kids below too. Enjoy!
- Position(s) at The Journey? John Michael co-leads Journey Men Ministry, Karen leads the Welcome Team and Kora serves in the nursery. We all participate in Foster Parents Night Out every other month as well.
- How long have you been coming to The Journey? Around 10 years.
- Where are you from? John Michael and I both grew up in a small Texas town, Cameron.
- Please tell us about your family: John Michael and I are high-school sweethearts. I feel so blessed to have met him as early as I did! Lance is our eldest, at 18 years old. (Some of you might remember his adoption story. If you ever want to hear it, please ask. We love to share what God has done!) Kora is 12, Grant is 10, and Myles is 7. We love playing games, reading books, being outdoors, hanging out with friends, watching and playing a lot of baseball and we recently have picked up tennis. John Michael works in the wildlife field. When I am not homeschooling, I work as a pediatric physical therapist.
- Favorite Bible verse: So many good ones and my favorite changes from time to time but this has been up at the top the last few years…1 Peter 3:14-15.
- What are some of your hobbies? As Karen, I like to mess around in the garden, work out, and meet new people and learn about where they are from.
- Do you have any pets? Yes! Two dogs, Ajax and Poppy. We recently released a Texas Spiny Lizard back into the wild after rehabilitating it through the winter for a few months as well. We see her from time to time in our back yard.
- Favorite Season? Spring and Fall.
- Favorite vacation you’ve taken? Of all the places, I tend to love Colorado or our trip to a quiet cabin on the Buffalo River with wrap-around porch, beautiful nature, and no TV. Super simple.
- Favorite type of meal? I’m currently on a Greek food kick.
Thank you to Karen and the Hairston family for letting us get to know you more! If you don’t know Lance’s adoption story, ask Karen and John Michael; it’s amazing! We are so grateful to have you all with us at The Journey and thank you for all that you do.