We are so excited to be back with another Wednesday Spotlight! Today we get to learn a little more about our very own Janet Scheider, who has been a true blessing to The Journey since joining our church family. Thank you for letting us get to know you today!
- How long have you been coming to The Journey? We have been coming to The Journey since April of 2022.
- Where do you volunteer at The Journey? It has been great serving in the children’s ministry. I get to do the Pre-K class for Journey Kids.
- Where are you from? I grew up in Sandusky, Ohio–home of Cedar Point, a mega-resort park known for its many roller coasters and which had its beginnings in 1870! I have also lived in Redding, California. At the time when we moved to Cedar Park in 1993, we had been living in Columbus, Ohio for 15 years.
- Please tell us about your family: I have been married to Jerry for 48 years–well, the 4th of July is our exact half way point, so I will say 48 1/2! We have 4 awesome children, Daniel, Michael, Anna and Abbie. With Michael and Anna being married, we have 5 fantastic grandchildren. Our Abbie will be getting married next April so we are thinking we may have a few more! One thing we are thankful for and that we do not take for granted is that, so far, all 4 live in the Austin area.
- Favorite Bible verse: This is kind of hard to say because God has shown me many verses that have quickened my heart in different situations. One of these is a passage in Psalm 62, verses 5-8:
“My soul, wait in silence for God only, for my hope is from Him. He only is my rock and my salvation, my stronghold: I shall not be shaken. On God my salvation and my glory rest; the rock of my strength, my refuge is in God. Trust in Him at all times, O people (O Janet); Pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us.”
Also, I have been praying for some of my loved ones for a long time and I was reminding God of this fact! Then I read Psalm 39:7: “And now Lord, for what do I wait? My hope is in You.”
- Do you have any pets? Although we have enjoyed having several pets over the years–usually 2 dogs and 1 cat at one time, we currently do not have any pets. Oh, yes, we have also had a pet rat, hermit crabs, fish, a hamster and a tarantula!!
- Favorite Season? If I were still in Ohio I would have to say fall–but then you know winter is coming so that kind of spoils it a little. In Texas, I would say spring.
- Favorite vacation you’ve taken? I don’t know if this is my favorite vacation but it was fun! It was just a few weeks ago. Jerry and I went back to Ohio as did all our children and most of our grandchildren and we all stayed in a house together. We had not been back for 4 years. Jerry and I each have 1 aunt still living and we had a visit with them. We also saw many other relatives. I was able to see 2 friends that I have known and kept in touch with since grade school. We went passed houses we lived in as kids and where our kids lived before we moved. We could not leave without going to our favorite ice cream shop. And last but not least, we went back to Ohio State and found the exact spot where we first met 50 years ago this fall, on campus near Mirror Lake. That is where we are standing in the picture. I even found my old dorm room: Baker Hall, room 2020!
- Favorite football team? OK, you probably know I am going to say Ohio State Buckeyes!! But I will say I have been challenged since all 4 kids went to 4 different schools including Texas A&M(Whoop!) and University of Alabama(Roll Tide)!!—Sorry, Longhorn fans! But I do hope you have a good season–Hook ’em!
- Favorite meal: I have many favorite meals and one involves one of my favorite foods: the potato! I enjoy all forms of potatoes from chips and fries to scalloped and soup. When I have told some people about this meal, they just kind of smile and say, “Oh, that’s nice,” then slowly walk away! It is very simple but delicious– I bake a potato then smash it flat on the plate. Next, I smash a whole avocado and spread it on the potato. Then top it with some mild salsa and enjoy!
Thank you for the recipe and for sharing some great fun facts, Janet! You and Jerry are both such blessings to our church and have done so much for so many members and even our community. We are grateful to have you; you certainly make us stronger and we can’t wait to grow even more with you!